Saturday, July 17, 2010

Sweet Sunday Sketch #78

It's that time again - time for another Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge. Check out this fun sketch Karen created for us to play with this week:


I pulled out some of my neglected PTI goodies to create my sample this time:


Fun, huh? I love the look of those messy ruffled ribbons that are popping up everywhere. But I have to ask you guys - do any of you have trouble with the ribbon not staying adhered to the card when you do this technique? Because after about a day, my ribbons that I do like this slowly start peeling off the adhesive so I'll find the card with the ribbon all flat and lifeless, no longer adhered in cute little ruffle. And I'm using a nice brand-new roll of Scor-Tape. What's up with that? Does anyone else have that problem or is it just me? I'm wondering if it's just the humidity here in Hawaii - or more accurately the humidity combined with the fact that we *always* have our windows open and don't run A/C or anything, because I mean there are way more humid places than Maui (like Florida?) - but the humidity we do have here IS in my house too since our windows are always open and that ocean breeze is constantly finding it's way inside. But it's not like a swamp or anything out here. So I'm frustrated. I love how that ribbon looks, but the card is kinda worthless now. And this isn't the first time that's happened. :-( Oh well.

OK, enough whining from me. Be sure to check out the other Sweet Sunday Stampers' blogs and see what they've done with the sketch.
Then play along with us and post your own creation using InLinkz over on today's post on Karen's Blog!

Thank You Card:
Stamps: Say it with Style, Big and Bold Wishes (PTI) Paper: Kraft like a Rockstar, Dish all the Dirt Brown (Clear & Simple Stamps), Whisper White, So Saffron (SU) Ink: Early Espresso (SU) Accessories: New Leaf Ribbon, Felt, Scallop border die, Cloud die, Woodgrain Impression Plate (PTI); Flower die (SU); Cork; Bird embellishment (American Crafts)

10 comments:

Karen Giron said...

Ok, I LOVE that ribbon! This is gorgeous! I use Sticky Strip on mine when I ruffle ribbon and haven't had a problem. Of course it's drier than anything here, so I can't do the humidity test :D

Lee said...

Stunning card as usual! You're not alone, I've tried sooooo many types of adhesive, and my ruffled ribbons all come away within hours. Even sticky strip :( For this reason I'd never give one of these cards away, but they're sure pretty to make & photograph :)

Lee x

Carol said...

The first time I tried the ruffled ribbon technique, I used 1/4" red-lined tape (aka sticky strip) and I had problems with a portion of the ribbon popping here and there. In my case, it didn't have anything to do with the humidity, it came down to the way I had ruffled the ribbon and the fact that I didn't have enough adhesive contact with the ribbon. As I lay the ribbon down, I am very careful to watch and be sure that there is a decent amount of contact with the adhesive . . . my ribbon ruffling, therefore, is a bit more skewed, as opposed to looking to be in a straight line. Worst-case scenario, I would add some glue dots to the underside of the ribbon where you are having contact-stickiness issues--I did that on the card I had the issue and it worked like a charm.

Vicki Burdick said...

Super cute jen, love the ruffled ribbon and the little bird, toooo cute!

Lynn Put said...

Fantastic card Jen! Love the messy ruffled ribbon, lol and cork scallops!

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

I've been using Beacon's 3-in-1 liquid glue. Yeah, I said liquid. It just dries super fast, but you can still scrunch up the ribbon to get that look. I haven't had any problems! For a loopier ribbon, I use a dry strip (I use Tombow Mono Adhesive) and get the ribbon the way you want it, then use the Beacon's to make sure it is permanent. Works great!

Kathy Martin said...

Terrific card! Love the ribbon work and the cork! :)

Karen Motz said...

This is gorgeous Jen!!! That ruffled ribbon rocks!!! I think the problem lies with how pliable the ribbon is more so than the adhesive. I find that satin ribbons stick best, for me anyway, because they're usually a little thinner than grosgrain. :)

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

FAbulous! Love the flowers and ribbon...gorgeous!

Krista said...

great card !!