Saturday, May 7, 2011

Sweet Sunday Sketch #116

Hi! I'm going to get right to the point tonight - I'm typing up this post on Saturday night and I have the house to myself because Joel is at the neighbor's watching the Manny Pacquiao fight (actually from the sounds of things in my neighborhood I think every other house must have bought the fights - I can barely hear myself think from the screaming and yelling and laughing coming in my open windows from all directions out there!) and Dean went with him (not to watch the fight - we don't allow that - but to play with all the neighborhood kids in the backyard). It's pretty noisy out there tonight. If you've never spent time in an actual local neighborhood in Hawaii on a weekend night, you're missing out!! Especially if there's something exciting going on like a fight! Hawaii residents LOVE an excuse to get together and drink beers and eat lots and lots and lots of good local food while sitting in their garage watching some big sporting event on TV. And yes, most locals have TVs in their garage here. It's much cooler to sit outside and watch TV in the cool breeze, gathered around luau tables, the men all screaming and yelling while the girls talk story and the kids run around like crazy chickens! GOOD TIMES! But I'm missing out because I wanted to stay home in the peace and quiet and get my craft on!! LOL. It is Mother's Day Weekend after all...

So anyway, It's Sunday and you know what that means - time for another Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge! Karen created a fun square sketch this week, which I normally LOVE, but for some reason I was feeling rebellious so I changed things up a bit (only a TEENY TINY bit as you can see)...here's a look at this week's sketch:


I decided to post my sample card at the top of my post today. Just to keep you all on your toes. Don't want you getting too comfortable. But here's another, closer, look:


The BEST part about this card is all those yummy papers. They're all printed digi papers from the new Life of the Party kit by Dani Mogstad (Sweet Shoppe). I also used the Big Birthday Wishes stamp set and numbers dies from Papertrey Ink. I added some pom-pom trim from my stash of notions and made a fun accordion flower thing, dipping the edges in silver glitter. The accordion flower may have been a little too much, but it needed something up there in the corner and I had printed out some yellow paper too, so I went for it.

Be sure to stop by all the Sweet Sunday Stampers' blogs and see what they've done with this week's sketch.
Then play along with us and post your own creation using InLinkz over on today's post on Karen's Blog!

Now, in my post from yesterday I mentioned that we were going to the Seabury Hall Craft Fair and that Dean was super excited about all the keiki activities. He had SO MUCH FUN and I couldn't help but share this hilarious picture I snapped of him on one of the many jumpy castles! He seems to think you have to JUMP off the top of the slide for the best effect and I managed to catch him mid-jump!


It was a beautiful day - I was a little worried it was going to rain on us, and it did sprinkle a few times, but we had fun! Dean made his TuTu (my Mom) a gorgeous (LOL) painted and be-jeweled flower pot for Mother's Day just before wearing himself out and into a full-blown 4-yr-old temper tantrum, too much fun for one day and too tired as a result! But it was all worth it! Love this little pre-Mother's Day tradition each year!

7 comments:

Karen Giron said...

Oooh, I just saw those papers over there and they went right into my wish list! And what this heck is that on your card? It isn't pink pom-poms is it? hehe! Have a fantastic mother's day :)

Dawn Easton said...

ohhhhh I love it, Jen! This card screams fun! Love that glittered flower you created for the top and those pink pom poms rock! Fantastic!

GREAT picture managed to snap of him in mid air....hahaha...CUTE!!! Glad you all had a great day!!

Happy Mother's Day!

Lynn Put said...

Happy Mother's Day Jen! Your card is fabulous! The big 5, digi papers and fun pink pom pom trim look incredible! Love the shot of Dean at the fair, looks like he had fun!
Enjoy your day!

Vicki Burdick said...

Love your card and the fun little pink pom poms!!! Sunds like you had a fun weekend!! Happy Mother's Day!!!

Teresa Zuehls said...

Love your fun card and the photo of Dean in the air is a great shot. Looks like he was having a great time.

Dana White said...

OMG this is so cute - I love how the you do these scrappy cards & it looks like Dean had fun!!

Jessica Diedrich said...

This is just adorable, girl. I love the contrast of textures and colors here- the yellow/pink/orange combo really pops! This is darling!