Monday, January 7, 2013

Project Life 2013, Week 1

So excited to be sharing Week 1 of Project Life 2013!! I don't have all of my supplies that I plan to be using as my "go to" items this year just yet, but I didn't want to fall behind before I even started. I was never more than 2 weeks behind in all of 2012 and I plan to stay just as caught up in 2013. I feel that staying caught up, for me anyway, was the key to my success with Project Life. I think without any DT commitments this year, it should be even easier.

I haven't decided on an album yet and need to do that soon. Any advice? I am waiting to decide until after CHA - hoping something new will be released that will be perfect. I used the Becky Higgins Black Signature Binder for 2012, but honestly I was slightly disappointed with the quality of the signature binders. Not in the actual binder craftsmanship necessarily, but in the way the black color seems to already be looking really worn, like it's rubbing off. And this is the case with all 3 of my binders, which were purchased at different times of the year. So I'm a little hesitant to go with one of the Project Life brand binders again, unless it's possibly a different manufacturer (like American Crafts maybe? Anyone out there have experience with American Crafts binders?). I do like the We R Memory Keepers binders, but I think I want something other than black, but I just don't know what. I know, indecisive much?

Anyway, I didn't use just one kit last year and I doubt that I stick with any one kit this year. But I will be ordering the Seafoam Edition when it comes out -hopefully next week. (I already have the digi version of it and used it this week, but I'd like to have the physical product as well). I also subscribed to the Studio Calico PL kit and am hoping it is worth the $$. I'm already a SC scrapbook kit subscriber and use a lot of those goodies in my PL spreads each week. I will have to decide if it's worth it to continue subscribing to both kits, which will be expensive. On the other hand, I don't really plan on doing much stamping / card-making this year, so that should cut down on my craft spending some. I'm hoping it balances out in the end. I'd really hate to have to sit down and figure out exactly how much money I spend on this hobby! So, Seafoam kit + Studio Calico kit(s) + my stash. I use a lot of printed digi goodies, so I guess technically that makes me a hybrid Project Lifer. I also like to use digital stamps and brushes. I have a Silhouette Cameo that I'm extremely unfamiliar with and definitely have not got my money's worth out of - I'm also hoping that changes this year.

So, here's a look at 2013 Week 1, which covers Jan 1-5:


Right now, my plan for my "Anchor" card (top left) is to use my Silhouette to cut out a "week" and number to identify which week we're on and then somewhere use my date stamp to show the dates. I may or may not include a 3x4 calendar card if I need the filler. So anyway, It will look similar to this, with the colors and placement varying week to week. Some weeks if I have lots of photos, I may include small instagrams on this card as well. Or I may journal on it and use it as a sort of "Week in Review". We'll see. I used a fun free end-of-the-year card from Cathy Zielske in one pocket and stamped the "awesome" from my fave Happy Days Verve stamp set. I love the Twenty13 Calendar Card by Robyn Meierotto. You'll see me using the 365 Days Photo Overlays by Ali Edwards very, very often. (these are available for the whole year, which is how I purchased them, or in individual months).

 

On the right side I used more Studio Calico digital printables and a printable from Cathy Zielske's Move More, Eat Well class that I signed up for (not because I need to lose weight, before anyone thinks I have some weird eating disorder. I know I don't need to lose weight. But I do need to eat healthier and get more exercise than I do and I have absolutely ZERO motivation to do so. Hoping a class will hold me accountable). I also used Cathy Zielske's Journal Cards 01 for my Week in Review. I use this quite a bit too. Not every week, but almost.


And that's it for Week 1! So a little different approach with blogging about it this time. I focused more on the products I used and less on the photos, which I think you can see for yourself. I'm not sure if I'll continue posting product links or not. It's a lot of work and I'm still not sure how many people are really reading these posts. This is a big change for my blog and I might be losing my readership, based on the lack of comments, LOL. I'm OK with that really. But if you are reading this and you have an opinion one way or the other about product links - let me know! :-)

5 comments:

Amy Sheffer said...

I love seeing more of your PL! You're an inspiration!! I have a bunch of American Crafts Modern albums on hand from previous scrapbooking projects, so those are the ones I've been using for PL. Love them - thick, sturdy, easy to embellish. (They do seem big, though!)

As for product links, I like when you include them, but if it's too much trouble, leave them out. I can always email you if there's something I need to know!

Can't wait to see more PL from you this year! Hugs and Happy New Year!

Alyssa S said...

I love reading your blog, seeing your project life layouts and whatever else you decide to post! I'm just a bad follower b/c I rarely bop on over to comment! I'm not a PLer, (not disciplined enough) so it makes no difference to me if you link to products or not. It can get to be a pain, so don't do it if you don't want to! I figure if someone wants to know where you got it, they can always email you or google it!

michelle said...

Love your blog! A friend just introduced me. I personally enjoy links on blogs, but yes, so much more work! Oh... and this is the album I'm using this year, I was also very disappointed in the BHPL albums. http://www.weronthenet.com/leathrring in aqua

tginguyen said...

Thanks for visiting my site!

Love your Project Life pages! You will love the Seafoam kit.

I didn't stick with the entire kit last year either -- I mainly like the title cards -- love that i can set that up ahead of time. The journal cards are nice but I love using bits and pieces from my stash.

I love your title page -- gonna have to steal your idea and include a die-cut of my state on the cover.

Lisa G. said...

First time to your blog. This is my first year doing project life and I'm aiming for a spread every couple of weeks. I love the links because I'm and it helps me discover more and more :)