Friday, August 22, 2008

Hybrid Clipboard

I made this cute little clipboard and matching pen for my friend Season. You might remember the little mini album I created for Season's adorable baby girl, Sophie, a few months ago. Well, Sophie is growing like crazy and as you can see, getting cuter by the day!! I've been wanting to try this hybrid project for awhile and I downloaded this beautiful Flirty Skirty kit from Sugarplum Paperie earlier this week and it was PERFECT!!!
I converted the picture of Season and Sophie to black and white in Photoshop Elements 6 by first creating a new Adjustment Layer for Hue/Saturation and moving the Saturation slider all the way to the left. Next, I created another new Adjustment Layer for Levels and adjusted the highlights, lowlights and midtones until the photo really popped (it was such a great picture to start with, it really didn't need much adjusting - thank you natural light). I then flattened the image and saved it as a black & white copy, keeping the original for later use. All of the digital elements for this project are from the Flirty Skirty kit from Sugarplum Paperie. I especially love the scalloped border and the vintage layered frames!! I also printed out a small strip of the green patterned background paper, handcut and used it to wrap the inside of a clear pen. Last, I tied a few pieces of coordinating ribbon to the hole in the clip. Here's a closer view of the Beautiful Season & Sophie (oh, and the pen)...
Now, what does someone actually DO with a clipboard like this you might ask??? Well, I figure a new Mom like Season could put it to good use in Sophie's nursery. I remember the early days of diaper counts and keeping track of feedings. If Season's anything like me (and since I'm officially her personal scrapbooker, I'm hoping she is!!!), she could also use it to jot down all of Sophie's little accomplishments and amusing antics for future journaling. When I was still breastfeeding Dean, I used to keep a small notebook next to my "nursing nest" and while he was eating, I would write him little notes or journal about all of the amazing feelings (both positive and negative) I experienced as an amateur Mom. So those were my thoughts when creating this little clipboard for Season. I'm sure she'll find something to do with it. If nothing else, grandparents LOVE anything with a photo of their only grandchild!!! :-)

No comments: